This is a magazine about truth, so allow me to be honest with you: writing this letter is an agonizing experience.

I’ve always had the distinct feeling that, one day, I will be found out. Inevitably, somebody will put it together that I’m not quite as adequate as I present myself to be. Who am I, really, to write to you on this page?

As it turns out, many have this experience, and it’s called imposter syndrome — the insecurity that, in spite of patent evidence to the contrary, you’re a fake, and it’s only a matter of time before everybody finds out.

Our first magazine was about our dreams, and the way time has changed them. In this magazine, we asked about our realities — the way things seem, and the way they really are.  Writers explore the legitimacy of alt-lit, the underpinnings of hipster masculinity, and the counterintuitive cultural congruity of fusion food.

True stories are often difficult, reflecting the diverse struggles that individuals contend with every day. Students shared their experiences with mental health issues, entrenched stigma, and navigating identity.

Whether or not you realize it, your story is legitimate. There is no one experience of being a university student, or of being anyone else at all, that renders yours less authentic in comparison. You are not a fake — you are an individual with a truth, and it’s yours to tell.

— Danielle Klein | Magazine Editor, 2013–2014

Old-New-8739

MASTHEAD

Top: The first recorded picture of The Varsity staff and mascot (bottom left corner), taken in 1885.

Below: The Varsity magazine team now (with new mascot, bottom left corner)